Home / Latest News / Newcastle International SuperMoto to hold the first FIM OCEANIA SuperMoto Championship at Newcastle Showground

Newcastle International SuperMoto to hold the first FIM OCEANIA SuperMoto Championship at Newcastle Showground

In a move sure to impress fans of Supermoto, the Newcastle International Supermoto is excited to announce this year’s event will incorporate the Inaugural FIM Oceania Supermoto Championship.

Due to extensive civil works taking place at the Newcastle Foreshore this year, it was decided that the event should make a temporary move to the Newcastle Showground.  However, this move  not only gives us greater certainty for the event, but also a technically challenging track worthy of hosting the 2017 FIM OCEANIA SuperMoto Championship and a more exciting, more viewable series of activities. The event will move back to the Newcastle Foreshore in 2018.

Behind the scenes, the FIM Oceania Supermoto Championship has already attracted interest from riders around the world including several past world champions from differing disciplines.

Promoter Graeme Boyd said, “So far we have secured athletes from a dozen nations including New Zealand, USA, Japan, France, Malaysia and Thailand. Combine this with the talent available in
Australia and the FIM Oceania Supermoto Championship will be a must-see motorcycle event.

“We have designed a track that will challenge riders and provide an exciting and entertaining experience for spectators. Newcastle Showground will be used to its full potential with the track extending out into the service roads before heading back infield for the dirt section. Spectators will be able to walk around the entire course and the big screen TV will ensure they never miss any of the action.”

Minister for Tourism and Major Events Adam Marshall said the event had been secured by the NSW Government’s tourism and major events agency, Destination NSW from 2016 until 2018.
“This exciting sporting event is expected to attract more than 3,300 overnight visitors with a total visitor spend of $1.9 million over the three year period, and we look forward to showcasing
Newcastle to a global audience through the FIM Oceania Supermoto Championship later this year,” Mr Marshall said.

The Father’s Day weekend event will be held at the Newcastle Showground on 2 & 3 September 2017. Continuous racing is scheduled for both days along with off track entertainment including
the Flair Riders extreme trial demonstration. Local racers can also be a part of the event with several support classes to choose from including Clubman and Vets.

Check Also

Newcastle International SuperMoto on SBS Speedweek

Watch highlights of the action from this year’s Newcastle International SuperMoto on SBS Speedweek. Sunday …